To My Dear Daddy, on Father's Day

Dear Daddy, Happy Father's Day. 

It's very different to say that this year, than in past years, because over the course of the last few months, I have seen you in a completely different light than I ever saw you before. 

I have seen you rise up to be a mighty man of God, realizing the task and responsibility that He has given you in guiding your family. 

I've seen you walk in complete humility before those around you, because that was what He has called you to. 

I've seen your tenderness and your pain as we walked through some of the hardest moments. You've been there, loving, and caring, and simply holding us. 

I've seen you rise up and lead your family. 

You've modeled to me what true humility looks like, begging forgiveness of those that you've hurt. And you've extended that same forgiveness to me, that you asked of me.

You've been gentle when you needed to be gentle, and you've been bold, with gentleness, when the need has arisen. 

I used to say that I wanted to marry someone with your good qualities - being so good with your hands and mind, and being able to fix or figure out a solution to nearly anything. I knew that that wouldn't be easy, because most are not blessed with that gift like you are.
I've been spoiled with it. 
Now though, I see who you have become, and I know that those godly and courageous men are even fewer and further between than those just good with their hands and brains. 
But I also know it's worth waiting for. 

I used to fear marriage, because what I saw played out before me was not something that I wanted. 
Someone told me once that marriage could and should be a beautiful thing, that it wasn't designed to look like what I saw. 
The Sunday after you and Mama got back, and I saw the huge change in you and your marriage, I told that person that I finally fully believed what she had told me so many months before. 

The last few months, I've seen you as a very different person, and I respect and honor you so differently, and so much more, than ever before in my life. 

You've shown me what a Christ-centered marriage looks like. You've shown me what a godly father looks like. 
You've shown me what a true man looks like. 

Happy Father's Day, Daddy. I love you. 

Love,
Your Daughter,
Rebekah


Comments

  1. Beautifully stated! So thrilled for all of you but especially your mom and dad! Happy Father's Day, Andrew!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Monday: Trim healthy Waffles - E

Just Like Great Grandpa